If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time. This is also true in Kids Ministry.
Every year I take time with my team to evaluate and celebrate things that happened the previous year and think about what we need to focus on for the upcoming year. I give my leaders a checklist of things to start the creative thinking process:
- Do you have enough volunteers?
- What does your room look like? Is it tidy & organized? Counters cleaned off, cupboards organized?
- Signs – Posted in appropriate locations?
- Schedules – Are they posted in volunteer areas?
- Curriculum – Printed? photocopied? Bins ready to go?
- Sets & Props for Large Group Time?
- Music – CDs ready to go in the room? Worship Teams ready & on same page?
- Small Group Bins – Ready to go? Do they need any basic supplies?
- Room Supplies – All stocked up?
- Toy Cleaning – Do you have times/dates scheduled for this?
- Meeting with your Volunteer Team – Large Group Teachers? Room Leaders?
- Welcome Letter/email from you to your volunteers.
Once they read through this list of questions, I ask them to write down 3 goals for each of the following categories:
- 3 months from now
- 6 months from now
- 12 months from now
Every year I am amazed at the goals that they come up with. They set the bar high & go beyond what I had hoped for. We take time in our meeting to give everyone a chance to share their goals. This helps build the sense of team as they share their ideas with each other. Each month at our meetings we review these goals & check-in to see how they are doing with them. More times than not, they accomplish their goals well before their target date. I am reminded every Leaders Meeting about the importance of setting goals, reviewing them & taking time to celebrate the things that God is doing!